Robert Burns - Maybole - Where it Began
Home ] Up ] Photo Galleries ] Town Guides ] Notables ] Community ] News ] Places ] History ] Search ] Contact Us ]

Robert Burns - where it began. It is fairly safe to say that, had it not been for the market fair held in Maybole High Street in 1756 where William Burnes met and fell in love with Agnes Broun, Scotland’s National Bard might never have existed. William and Agnes married in Maybole on 15th December 1757 and just over a year later, on 25th January 1759, Robert was born in nearby Alloway. Maybole celebrated the local connections and history associated with our National Bard with many events during 2007.  It has provided a lasting memorial to Burns’ parents and the bard himself in Maybole and will point to the start of the Burns’ trail in the centre of Maybole.

Robert Burns..where it began. Book & DVDPostcard for 250th Wedding Anniversary of Robert Burns' Parents

Gala 2007More Photos 1Photos 2Market FairBurns visits MayboleCrossraguel Service Where it Began

Maybole - where it began - the story | Press Release   | Leaflet (pdf):  Robert Burns - where it all began | Other links - Maybole website

Burns Service with Angus Middleton, President - Robert Burns World Federation Celebration of 250th Wedding Anniversary

A limited edition book, charting the global celebration of Robert Burns’ 250th birthday has been presented to four local schools in Maybole by Provost Winifred Sloan on behalf of the organisers of the 2009 Year of Homecoming events.Published by the Robert Burns World Federation, a special 250th anniversary limited edition of the Burns Chronicle has over 700 pages and contains entries from many contributors including clubs, communities, academics and individuals, from all over the world. more

Maybole’s “Robert Burns…where it began” project officially came to an end June 2008 with a special evening in Maybole Town Hall. All the events last year were recorded for inclusion on a DVD and in a book of photographs and the organising committee had invited representatives from local voluntary groups, schools, and others who were involved or took part in the year long celebrations to be the first to see these. more

Group left to right: Peter Mason, chair of Maybole Community Council Susan Whiteman, who played the part of Burns’ mother Agnes Broun last year Angus Middleton, President of the Ayrshire Association of Burns Clubs and Immediate Past President of the Robert Burns World Federation Jean Dunn, who played Burns’ mother at the time of his death in the DVD Provost Winifred Sloan June Dunlop, winner of the Matt Dunnachie Award Donald Kay, who played Burns’ father William last year John Haining, President of the Robert Burns World Federation Cathy Jamieson MSP David Kiltie, chairman of May-tag.

Maybole’s “Robert Burns…where it began” project officially came to an end last week with a special evening in Maybole Town Hall.

All the events last year were recorded for inclusion on a DVD and in a book of photographs and the organising committee had invited representatives from local voluntary groups, schools, and others who were involved or took part in the year long celebrations to be the first to see these.

Young piper Scott Barrie started the evening off by playing “A man’s a man for a’ that” and everyone was welcomed by Peter Mason, chair of Maybole Community Council. He had also chaired the organising committee for the many events held last year to mark the first meeting of Agnes Broun and William Burnes in Maybole and to commemorate what would have been the 250th anniversary of their wedding in a Maybole church.

He handed over to David Kiltie who explained that two DVDs had been produced, a heritage edition and a souvenir edition. The 30 minute long heritage edition would be sent to the funders and local schools. The souvenir edition of the DVD contains extra footage which includes the two concerts in the town hall on the weekend of the wedding re-enactment and the closing service when hymns were sung to Burns’ tunes.

It was the shortened heritage version of the DVD which was shown last week with the main “star” Jean Dunn as Agnes just after her son Robert died in 1796. Agnes thinks on how death will affect his children, her grandchildren, and she realises that she cannot answer all the questions they will have for her.

One thing she can do, however, is tell them is “where it began” – Maybole – and she starts to reminisce on how she and the children’s grandfather met and married in the town. Agnes’ part in the DVD was played by Susan Whiteman and William by Donald Kay.

Denis Reid is the narrator and fills in the background to the re-enactment of the market fair when the couple first met in 1756, their attendance at an 18th century Maybole Gala, and the re-enactment of the marriage of Agnes and William by Rev James MacKnight on December 15, 1757 in the parish church at the foot of the Kirkwynd.

After the DVD finished, South Ayrshire Council Provost Winifred Sloan presented scrolls to over 50 people who had been involved in the events and congratulated everyone involved. Roses were also presented to the ladies by “William” aka Donald Kay. Provost Sloan said, ““It is very true that without William Burnes and Agnes Broun, our National Bard would not have existed, so celebrating the 250th anniversary of their marriage was a superb idea.

“I would like to congratulate the people of Maybole on the outstanding way in which they promoted and celebrated the couple during 2007. They met at the bottom of Maybole High Street so it was only right that the launch of ‘Robert Burns…where it began’ took place in Maybole Town Hall.

“From the beginning of the project I was impressed with the enthusiasm and innovative ideas that the people of Maybole thought of, and more importantly, they brought to fruition. “People readily dressed in clothes that would have been worn around the time that the couple met and married and these costumes were worn at school presentations, at the market fair, during gala week, the enactment of the couples’ wedding, at concerts and many other events.

Provost Sloan continued, “I feel honoured to have been able to take part in many of the events during 2007 and they gave me memories that I will treasure for years to come. Creating a book and a DVD that capture the spirit and enthusiasm of the events was a superb idea and I would like to congratulate everyone who created these. 2007 may be over but I know that people will be talking about the celebrations for many years to come.

“I am sure that many people have found a new interest in Burns, or rekindled their previous interest thanks to the people of Maybole. This just shows what can be achieved and I am sure that there will be more celebrations in 2009, the Year of the Homecoming, that will see Scottish people the world over visit South Ayrshire to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the birth of Burns.”

Cathy Jamieson MSP said, " Everyone who was involved in the ‘Robert Burns…where it began’ events must be really delighted with the souvenir book and DVD. “Looking through the book, you can see how local people and visitors enjoyed themselves, and the DVD is a superb collection of historical information mixed with images from present day Maybole as the town celebrated 'where it all began'.

“There is an amazing amount of local talent showcased on the DVD, with material from all the major events, including concerts and the street fair - definitely not to be missed! I was delighted to join Peter Mason and David Kiltie at the Town Hall as commemorative scrolls were presented to all those who took part. The Community Council, Community Association and Historical Society worked together to make everything a real success.

“I'm already looking forward to what comes next....2009 is going to be a big year for everyone in Ayrshire, and I'm sure Maybole will once again be up there in the headlines." Angus Middleton, President of the Ayrshire Association of Burns Clubs and Immediate Past President of the Robert Burns World Federation, said, “I was delighted and honoured to have been part of Maybole’s ‘Robert Burns...where it began’.

“I wish to thank everyone for making me so welcome in the town, and to have played a part in the celebrations is a memory I will treasure forever. “It was an added pleasure to see the re-constitution of Maybole St Crispin Burns Club and I wish all concerned every success for the future. You can count on my continued support.

“The launch of the Souvenir DVD and book is a perfect ending to a memorable year, the atmosphere at the various events are captured and are a wonderful record of the town’s heritage. I heartily commend their purchase.” John Haining, President of the Robert Burns World Federation, said, “During the summer of 2007 I took part in the annual Gala Day celebrations at Maybole.

“What struck me instantly was the enthusiasm of the organisers whose organising efficiency was obvious. There were people of all ages present, many dressed in period costume, and there was a ‘buzz’ about the town. I had a wonderful day. “On 15 December, 2007 I was invited to take part in the weekend re-enactment wedding ceremony between William Burnes and Agnes Broun, a local lassie, whose actual wedding took place at Maybole on 15 December 1757.

“Again great effort had gone into the organising and many people again were dressed in period costumes which added to the ‘ambience’ of the town. “Friday 14 December 2007 evening was taken up with a children's concert and on Saturday 15 December 2007 the wedding ceremony took place followed in the evening in the Town Hall by a concert watched by an adult audience.

“These were wonderful events and sure to live long in the memories of the townspeople. “David Kiltie and his organising group have much to be thanked for, for all their imaginative and enthusiastic work in bringing their plans to fruition.

“The main planks of those events were education - educating the younger children, and I wager some adults, of the history of the town - and the enjoyment seen in the faces of the all participants. I look forward to learning what Maybole has planned for the Homecoming in 2009.” Peter Mason added, “It was a great experience being part of the group that led this from the start to the finish, and what a finish.

“The book is excellent, as is the DVD, which in my opinion will now be part of the history of Maybole. “Scrolls were given out to people who played a major part in the events, but every person who helped in the smallest way should have received one as they are the real stars of ‘Robert Burns…where it began’”. There was a surprise ending to the evening with the presentation of the Matt Dunnachie Award.

This is a trophy which was presented to Carrick Sports Club in memory of founder member Matt Dunnachie. Matt’s wife May and her family felt this would mark Matt’s long association with the club and the community. The trophy is to be awarded annually in recognition of service to the community of Maybole in any capacity and the Sports Club set up a sub committee to nominate the winner each year.

Club secretary Bill McCubbin announced this winner was June Dunlop and he presented her with the trophy and a certificate. As well as her many contributions to the community over a long number of years, June had played a key role in the Burns events in 2007 which made it appropriate to present the award that evening.

2007 Events Calendar

May Ongoing education of local school pupils culminating in entries for the Jean Falconer Literary Competition. This is an annual award by Maybole Community Council but on this occasion will be specifically themed on Burns’ life.
Jun 9

Market Fair featuring the meeting of William Burnes and Agnes Broun. Local businesses were encouraged to adopt an 18th century theme.

Jun 11

Quiz with a specific Burns and Scottish theme.

Jun 16

Town Parade. The parade featured no motorised transport but horses. Other period transport was encouraged.

Jun 9-16

Throughout the week there was a  “Best Dressed Shop/Window” competition with a specific theme of the 18th century, and staff dressed in period costumes.

Sep Garden competition featuring best vegetables to reflect William Burnes’ trade
Dec 14/15 Concerts featuring our wealth of local talent involving local schools, Maybole Pipe Band, SCDS, Maybole Concert Party and Ayrshire Fiddle Orchestra
Dec 15 Re-enactment of the wedding of William and Agnes. Postcards celebrating the 250th Wedding Anniversary
Dec 16

Final ecumenical service celebrating Burns’ life.

Weekend of 14th, 15th and 16th Dec.- the 250th anniversary of the marriage of Robert Burns’ parents, Agnes Broun and William Burnes.

‘Robert Burns – where it began’

During the weekend of 14th, 15th and 16th December, the community of  Maybole will be caught up in events celebrating the 250th anniversary of the marriage of Robert Burns’ parents, Agnes Broun and William Burnes.

Preparations have been going on for some time to ensure that the weekend will be a memorable one, with as many people taking part as possible. The project was launched at the beginning of the year by a partnership between Maybole Community Council, the Community Association, the Historical Society and May-Tag Ltd.

The weekend kicks off with a children’s concert on Friday 14th December at 7pm in the Town Hall. Cairn primary are performing a Burns style X factor, Gardenrose pupils will perform highlights from the Poet’s life and St Cuthbert’s pupils are going to re-enact the wedding. Maybole pupils from Queen Margaret Academy will be singing from Burns, while Carrick Academy will be reminding their audience of the legend of the Countess and the Gypsy. The programme also includes young musicians, the young members of Maybole Pipe Band and the popular three primary schools choir. Each young performer has been allocated one free ticket. Tickets are on sale at £1.50 per adult and 50p per child from “Access” in the High Street. Primary school children have been drawing pictures of Burns, and one will be judged by a local expert to be the front page of the weekend programme.

Saturday 15th is even busier as the community meet at 12.20pm in the Collegiate Church, at the bottom of Kirkwynd to re-enact the actual wedding ceremony. Bride and groom, with wedding attendants, will be “married” by “minister”, Denis Reid, a local actor who often portrays Burns characters. Historic Scotland has given permission for the site to be used, and members of Carrick 800 in period costume will lend a hand to authenticity. After the “ceremony”, the wedding party will be piped to Maybole Castle for some wedding festivities.

Saturday evening is the grand finale cabaret concert, with a wealth of local talent including the Maybole Pipe Band and the Ayrshire Fiddle Orchestra. The programme includes many of Burns songs, poems and sketches of life in the latter half of the eighteenth century in Maybole. Invited guests include local MP and MSP, the Provost Mrs Winifred Sloan and the past and current President of the World Federation of Burns Clubs. Other town worthies, including some from the recently re-constituted St. Crispin’s Burns Club will grace the occasion with their presence. The Round Table are taking care of the bar and proceeds go to local charities. Tickets for the Cabaret Concert are on sale from Monday 3rd Dcember at “Access” in Maybole High Street, priced £3.

An ecumenical service finishes off events on Sunday 16th at 2.30pm in the Town Hall. Led by Rev. David Whjitemand, hymns will be sung to Burns tunes and an address given by Mr Angus Middleton, past President of the World Federation of Burns Clubs.

The programme is funded by Heritage Lottery and is aimed at raising awareness of the rich heritage of the town. All events will be recorded for a future DVD and book illustrating the town’s 250th anniversary celebrations.

Mrs Ellen Hawkes, Project Co-ordinator, stated that 2007 has presented unique opportunities to mark the 250th anniversary of Burns’ parents’ marriage. The success of the Jean Falconer Burns theme, the Market Fair, the Gala and the Burns quiz earlier in the year deserved a significant range of events to draw the project to a close. The re-enactment of the wedding and the two concerts will provide a platform for the whole community to re-engage with its heritage.

Press Release for Burns Festival Celebrations week of June 9th - June 16th

The Burns Festival Committee is making final preparations for a week-long celebrations of local heritage connected with Robert Burns. Celebrations begin with a Market Fair on Saturday June 9th from 12 noon until 4pm.

The Fair begins with a re-enactment of the meeting of Burns’ father, William Burnes and his mother, Agnes Broun in Maybole High Street. The re-enactment will take place in the grounds of Maybole Castle, for safety reasons, as the exact spot where they met is now part of the A77. Then the couple will be piped up the High Street to the Town Hall area where there will be recitals of Burns’ poems and songs by local groups and singers.

Shops in the town will be joining in the heritage spirit by dressing in period costume and having window displays to attract customers inside. There will be additional goods on offer in the Town Hall and Greenside from stalls and tables, selling  a variety of  home made goods and crafts, mostly available at markets in Burns’ time.

In addition, there will be traditional displays of spinning, lace making, quilting, calligraphy and wood burning. Maybole Historical Society will be dressing up and walking around with stories of the town’s rich heritage and there will be an opportunity to meet Rabbie himself on walkabout.

There will also be plenty for the children to do with chances to take part in traditional children’s games, to learn to make kites, join in an 18th century school room, play chess, have faces painted or be entertained by the walkabout magician. A smuggling scene will be enacted during the Fair by the talented Carrick 800 players.

Music has not been forgotten and throughout the day there will be a programme of singing, and dancing, including local children dancing around the maypole and Scottish Country dancing as well as strolling minstrels and buskers! Carrick Round table will be supplying a BBQ and delicious and tempting offers will be available for eating from local traders.

The Market Fair will be followed by an ecumenical service at Crossraguel Abbey on Sunday 10th June at 3.30pm when hymns will be sung to Burns most famous airs. During the week there will be a quiz on Monday June 11th and on Thursday June 14th there will be a pet show with special prizes for the pets from Burns’ poems. The week of celebration’s finale will be the annual gala parade which this year will have a Burns theme.

As events are being funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, groups taking part can get funding support for costumes and floats by calling in to the “Access” centre opposite June Dunlop’s Florist’s.

The Gala kicks off at 1pm from Carrick Academy and will be led by the Gala King and Queen of Carrick with attendants in their open landau carriage to the Glebe where all the usual fun and events await participants.

The Burns Festival Committee’s chairperson, Mr Peter Mason extends a hearty welcome to all at what promises to be an exciting week of celebration of the local community’s rich heritage.

“Robert Burns – Where it began”

Market Fair 9th June 2007

Funded by Heritage Lottery

Meeting held with local businesses participating in Market Fair of June 9th 2007

Ellen Hawkes, Project Co-ordinator, and David Kiltie MBE, representing  the Burns Festival Committee addressed local businesses at a cheese and wine evening on Monday 16th April in the Town Hall. The evening was to inform and consult with local businesses about the proposed heritage event re-enacting the market fair at Maybole where Robert Burns’ parents first met in 1756. Business owners were given an overview of “Robert Burns – Where it began” by Mr. Kiltie and Mrs Hawkes spoke about the information pack available to businesses. Feedback on ideas for the event was excellent with 100% backing from the businesses present, all of whom will wear period dress and dress their shop windows to reflect the event.

Information requested on dress, food and customs of the second half of the 18th century will be made available to business owners to enable them to get into the period and pass on their knowledge and leaflets  to customers. Maybole Historical Society and local experts will be supporting the research into the period, as will historical librarians from Carnegie Library in Ayr.  A note of the evening’s discussions with posters for display in shop windows will be distributed to all the town’s businesses. Posters are being sent to Post offices in Carrick and local caravan sites.

Stalls will be available for farmers/traders e.g. honey, home made sweets, fish, ice cream and some for local arts and craft people to display, demonstrate and sell their wares.

Heritage events will include a maypole dancing, Scottish country dancing displays, and a performance by Carrick 800 of local smuggling at the time.

The children will be able to enjoy face painting, watch a magician perform, experiment with 18th century games and see how schools were conducted then.

There will be street jugglers, a town baillie, people dressed as local historical characters giving out verbal and written information to the community and tourists.

Burns Festival banners at either end of the High Street, and Burns posters on the lampposts will help the general festive atmosphere.

The event will begin with William Burnes being piped down the High Street by a local young piper, to meet Agnes Broun who will be standing at a cross we hope to erect temporarily in the High Street. We hope to attract some talented Carrick Academy pupils to be Agnes and William and engage in a short scenario  before being marched back up the street to the Town Hall area.

The  Fair will cover the Town Hall, car park and grounds, the School Vennel and the Greenside. The grounds of Maybole Castle will also be available for the event and inside the Historical Society will mount a heritage display.

Programmes outlining local heritage, and more detailed leaflets will be available to the general public and visitors.

The event will start at 12 noon and close at 4pm.

If William Burnes had not attended a fair held in Maybole High Street in 1756, it is very possible that Robert Burns, our National Poet, may never have existed.

Agnes Broun was living in Maybole, Carrick’s Capital, and they met, courted and were married in a church at the foot of the Kirkwynd on 15th December 1757. Just over a year later, on 25th January 1759, Robert was born in nearby Alloway.

It is the Maybole and Carrick connections that we would like to celebrate this year which marks the 250th anniversary of the marriage of William and Agnes.

Agnes Broun was born a few miles from Maybole in 1732. She was the eldest of her family, and only 10 years old when her mother died. Two years later, when her father remarried, she was sent to live in Maybole with her grandmother. Agnes is widely known to have entertained Robert, her eldest son, with legends from local oral traditions, and folk songs.

According to one of her daughters, Agnes “was naturally cheerful; her manner, easy and collected; her address simple and unpresuming; and her judgement uncommonly sound and good. She possessed a fine musical ear, and sang well.”

Mark Twain wrote of her in Innocents Abroad, “It reminds me of what Robert Burns’ mother said when they erected a stately monument to his memory: ‘Ah, Robbie, ye asked them for bread and they hae gi'en ye a stane.’”

There is a monument to her, called Burns' Mother's Well, near Bolton on the roadside from Haddington, East Lothian.

William Burnes (1721-84) was born in the north east of Scotland in Kincardineshire and trained as a gardener. He moved south obtaining work as he travelled.

In many ways, the couple appeared to be exact opposites. He was tall, dour, serious and shy, she was lively, fun loving and gregarious. He had a sharp intelligence, she was all but illiterate. He was the thinker, she had the songs.

Maybole and Carrick have many other connections with Burns in his later life including a few friends and acquaintances close to his heart as depicted in his poems. It is felt that the Burns’ trail rightfully begins in Maybole.

Heritage Lottery Fund has awarded £46,800 to May-Tag Ltd in partnership with Maybole Community Council, Maybole Community Association and Maybole Historical Society. The project will to replicate the original Maybole Fair where William and Agnes met, with stalls, a farmers’ market, dance displays and other activities of the period.

Concurrently there will be displays of Burns-related exhibits and archives in Maybole Castle and Town Hall. Local schools will be involved in the re-enactment of both Burns’ parents’ life and his relevant poems. Activities will continue throughout the year, culminating in December.

Throughout a large part of the year Maybole Historical Society, in conjunction with other historical and heritage groups, the local archives and museums services, Culzean & Cassillis Estates and the National Trust for Scotland will have a large variety of displays of the life and works of Burns, and the life and times in Maybole in the 1750s. Many local groups will be involved in events over the course of the year.

All events during the year will be professionally recorded and made available to everyone involved, future visitors and future generations.

This celebration of the 250th anniversary of the marriage of William and Agnes will be the focal point of events which will promote and preserve the local connections and history associated with Robert Burns and Carrick.

Press Release (below).     Leaflet:  Robert Burns - where it all began

£46,800. to Robert Burns Maybole Celebrations.

The Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) has awarded a grant of £46,800 to May-Tag Ltd in partnership with Maybole Community Council, Maybole Community Association and Maybole Historical Society. The funds granted make up 85% of the total project costs of over £55,000 to organise events over the next year to celebrate the meeting and marriage of Robert Burns’ parents in Maybole, Ayrshire.

It is fairly safe to say that, had it not been for the market fair held in Maybole High Street in 1756 where William Burnes met and fell in love with Agnes Broun, Scotland’s National Bard might never have existed. William and Agnes married in Maybole on 15th December 1757 and just over a year later, on 25th January 1759, Robert was born in nearby Alloway.

Cheque for £46,800 presented by Annabel Bath of the Heritage Lottery Fund for "Robert Burns - where it began" project L-R Denis Reid, Helen McAdam (Maybole Historical Society), Councillor Alan  Murray, Provost Sloan, Annabel Bath, Angus Middleton (President of the  Robert Burns World Federation), Susan Whiteman (Maybole Community Association), David Kiltie (Maybole Community Council and May-Tag),  Peter  Mason (Maybole Community Council). Click on the image to view full size.

The year’s events are titled      Robert Burns - where it began.

This funding will allow celebrations to promote and preserve the local connections and history associated with Robert Burns and encourages everyone to learn more about our National Bard.  It will provide a lasting memorial to Burns’ parents and the bard himself in Maybole and will point to the start of the Burns’ trail in the centre of Maybole.

The year long events include a Robert Burns competition for schools; in June a replication of the market fair with Robert Burns parents meeting each other; Maybole gala day will re-enact other events of the period; in December there will be concerts featuring the music and poetry of Burns, and a re-enactment of the wedding of William and Agnes.

A major launch is planned for March when all the events will be fully publicised.

Colin McLean, Heritage Lottery Fund Manager for Scotland, said: “Burns has left us a rich literary heritage that is recognised throughout the world. Helping a whole new generation to explore the famous bard's work and life story is a great way to ensure he remains part of our national memory."

Peter Walker, general manager of May-Tag, said, “We are pleased to assist local voluntary groups with this innovative and far-reaching project to promote the Bard’s parents and put Maybole at the start of the Burns’ trail.”

Angus Middleton, President of the Robert Burns World Federation, had been told of the application to Heritage Lottery Fund when he visited Maybole recently and pledged his, and his colleagues’, full support for everything that Maybole planned to do.

David Kiltie, chair of Maybole Community Council, said, “This is a great opportunity to pass on our heritage to local people, especially our children and grandchildren. With modern technology we will also be able to let the world know that the chance meeting of William Burnes, of Alloway, and Agnes Broun, of Maybole, in the High Street was the real beginning of the immortal story of Robert Burns.”

He added, “We are very grateful to the Heritage Lottery Fund for their support and look forward to a very exciting project.”

Community Councillor Peter Mason, who chairs the joint committee organising the events, said, "I am delighted that we will be able to go ahead with this tribute to Robert Burns and his parents. We anticipate a wonderful year ahead for Maybole and would like to thank all who helped get funding, and the Heritage Lottery Fund."

Susan Whiteman, chair of Maybole Community Association, commented, "Absolutely fantastic! It's a great day for Maybole!"

Helen McAdam, chair of Maybole Historical Society, added, "This is absolutely great news! Every one in the Historical Society is excited and pleased because it will be so good for Maybole."

For further information contact Peter Walker May-Tag Ltd on 01655 883765 E mail peter.walker@may-tag.com

Editors notes

• The Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) enables communities to celebrate, look after and learn more about our diverse heritage.  From our great museums and historic buildings to local parks and beauty spots or recording and celebrating traditions, customs and history, HLF grants open up our nation’s heritage for everyone to enjoy.  To date it has invested over £450million in Scotland’s heritage.
  • The Heritage Lottery Fund has supported other Burns related projects including support for the creation of a museum and visitor attraction dedicated to Robert Burns, in his hometown of Alloway in Ayrshire.

Burns Service. Angus Middleton, President of the Robert Burns World Federation, was a special visitor at Maybole Parish Church’s service on Sunday morning. Mr Middleton is also President of the Ayrshire Association of Burns Clubs and he was accompanied by several colleagues at what was undoubtedly unique worship – all the hymns were sung to Burns tunes!

Rev Dave Whiteman welcomed Mr Middleton and his colleagues as well as representatives from several local organisations. He also showed to the congregation a Bible which had been presented to Maybole Parish Church in 1796, the year Robert Burns died. His parents had been married in that church at the bottom of Kirkwynd on December 15, 1757.

The service got off to a beautiful start with the choir singing “We cannot measure” to the tune “Ye banks and braes”. This was followed by “The Lord’s my Shepherd” to the tune “My love is like a red, red rose”. Four young members of the King’s Club sang “Bonnie wee thing” followed by the congregation singing “O Jesus I have promised” to the tune of “Flow Gently sweet Afton”.

In his talk to the children Mr Whiteman explained that William Burnes had met Maybole’s Agnes Broun at a fair in the High Street and started courting before being married in 1757. “Isn’t it exciting to know that the story of Robert Burns really started her in our wee town,” he said. The choir then sang “I heard the voice of Jesus say” to “Rowan tree” and Mr Middleton read the Beatitudes from Mark chapter 5. “Scots wha hae” was the tune for “Gracious Spirit” and “Auld Lang Syne” for “The Lord will come”. The service ended with the Doxology “May the God of peace go with us” to the tune “Ae fond kiss.”

Afterwards the visitors were taken to the Welltrees Inn for a light buffet. Mr Whiteman presented a bouquet of flowers to Margaret Skilling, of the Ayrshire Association of Burns Clubs, for her work in putting together arrangements for the visit. David Kiltie, chairman of Maybole Community Council, presented Mr Middleton with a medallion embossed with the Maybole coat-of-arms and a copy of the town’s history written by James T Gray.

Each year the Ayrshire Association of Burns Club members attend a church Service on the Sunday nearest the birth of the Bard. When they learned that Maybole wanted to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the marriage of William and Agnes, members of the association felt they would like to support the town and its aims to involve the whole community in Maybole.

Mr Kiltie outlined the details of a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund by May-Tag in partnership with the community council, Maybole Community Association and Maybole Historical Society. If successful, funds will be available to organise a series of events which the four groups feel would provide the opportunity to pass on this important part of the town’s heritage. Mr Kiltie concluded his presentation, “We feel that the chance meeting of William Burnes and Agnes Broun at the foot of Maybole High Street in 1756 was the real beginning of the immortal story of Robert Burns.”

Mr Middleton thanked everyone involved in the arrangements for his visit and pledged his and his colleagues’ full support for everything that Maybole planned to do.

Other links to Robert Burns on the Maybole Website: Robert Burns - Maybole Notable | Auld Lang Syne  | Address to a Haggis   Robert Burns' Association with Maybole: Chapter 24 from Maybole, Carrick's Capital by James Gray

Robert Burns..where it began. Book & DVDPostcard for 250th Wedding Anniversary of Robert Burns' Parents

Gala 2007More Photos 1Photos 2Market FairBurns visits MayboleCrossraguel Service Where it Began

Maybole - where it began - the story | Press Release   | Leaflet (pdf):  Robert Burns - where it all began | Other links - Maybole website

Burns Service with Angus Middleton, President - Robert Burns World Federation Celebration of 250th Wedding Anniversary