Oswald’s Episcopal Church 125th Anniversary
Rev. William Scott Wilson who was the Rector
to Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Ayr, founded our
congregation in 1847. The congregation were English and
Irish weavers who worked in the main industry of the town at
that time, working with handlooms in their homes, making
fine cloth. There were 400 Episcopalians in poor and humble
circumstances, as recorded by the Parish minister. For many
years the congregation met in a room on Abbot Street near
the Collegiate Church. The clergy of Girvan served them,
where the church had a similar background. The weaving
industry declined and workers turned to shoemaking as the
However it was not until 1883 that we had a
building of our own, so this year we celebrate the 125th
anniversary of its opening and consecration.
By 1883 the congregation had established
itself and also a school under the ministry of Rev William R
Gallacher, Rector in Girvan, who gained agreement from Rev W
S Wilson who was by then the bishop, to the building of a
permanent church on land gifted by the Cassillis Estate. The
Marchioness of Ailsa is believed to have been a benefactor.
St Oswald’s was dedicated on 18th December 1883
by the bishop.
On Thursday 18th December at
11.00am we are holding a special Service of Thanksgiving.
This will not be a Communion service and we hope that
friends from other churches in Maybole will come along.
On Sunday 21st December the Bishop
of Glasgow & Galloway Diocese, Bishop Idris Jones will be
the Celebrant and Preacher at our 11.30am Eucharist. This
will be followed by a “bring and share” lunch in the church
hall. Again we extend a warm welcome to the whole community
There is also an exhibition in the hall
detailing the history of the building and its congregation.
There are lots of interesting photographs and we hope you
will enjoy trying to identify a few old – and not so old –
We look forward to welcoming as many as our
little church can squeeze in.