Minishant Picture Captions
Home ] Up ] Photo Galleries ] Town Guides ] Notables ] Community ] News ] Places ] History ] Search ] Contact Us ]

William Douglas, farmer at Monkwood Mains, ploughing with a four horse team whose ages totalled only eleven years. They are (left to right) the mare Echo (aged 3), gelding Donald (2), stallion Coronation (4) and mare Irene (2). The picture was taken in 1941 while he was ploughing in the field opposite the village.

Mrs Margaret Hunter followed in the footsteps of her mother Mrs Harrison as Minishant village shopkeeper, and her large black cat was her 'trade mark.' She served the community until her retirement 1940, when the shop was combined with the post office under Mrs Sarah Hearton.

Miss Agnes Clark with some of her early pupils dressed up for some unknown occasion

.On a summer's evening the 'crack' was always good at the door of the blacksmith's shop at Minishant a hundred years ago.

The procession in Minishant to celebrate the end of the First World War was held on 4 August 1919, the fifth anniversary of the outbreak of the war.

Minishant Branch of the Scottish Women's Rural Institute was established in 1923 at the suggestion of Mrs Sylvia Kennedy, who was then living as Monkwood House. This picture shows the founder members with Mrs Kennedy at Doonholm the following year.

We have to thank a man with strong Maybole connections for one of the great communications improvements, tarred roads, which made travel so much easier. John Loudon Macadam, born in Ayr but educated at school in Maybole, devised the method after much experimentation including this stretch of 'tarred-macadamised road at Sauchrie, a few miles north of Maybole, where he lived from 1785-1798. For more on John Loudon Macadam see James Gray's book Maybole - Carrick Capital Pages 194-5

The Limond family grave in Maybole churchyard. John Limond was schoolmaster at Minishant from 1857 until 1912. His daughter, Agnes, spent the whole of her teaching career at the village school.