MAYBOLE CASTLEType of Site: Tower-House
NMRS Number: NS31SW 12
Map reference: NS 301 100
Council: South Ayrshire
Archaeology NotesNS31SW 12 3013 1002.
(NS 3013 1002) The Castle (NR)
OS 6" map (1958)
Maybole Castle was the town house of the Earls of Cassillis, and is still the property of the holder of that title. It is a typical defensive fortalice, probably of late 16th or early 17th century date. It consists of an L-shaped tower, four storeys and a garret in height, with large circular turrets corbelled out at the NE and SE angles and a stair-wing projecting to the SW. A later two-storyed addition extends to the N. The main tower is of harled rubble, but the turrets and projecting watch-chamber at the head of the stair-tower are of worked ashlar. The SE turret has been renewed above the level of the corbelling. The basement is vaulted.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; N Tranter 1965
This considerably restored mansion is generally as described above. It is in use as the offices of the Cassillis and Culzean Estates, and is still known as "The Castle".
Visited by OS (JLD) 7 December 1955
No change to the previous report.
Visited by OS (JRL) 8 August 1977
Collection SummaryPhotographs: 2
Other Material: 0
MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92 )
The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries',
II, 5v, Edinburgh, Vol.3, 498-502,
Tranter, N (1962-70 )
'The fortified house in Scotland',
Edinburgh, Vol.3, 49-51,