MAYBOLE, ST CUTHBERT'S CHURCHType of Site: Church; Graveyard; Font
NMRS Number: NS30NW 7
Map reference: NS 302 099
Council: South Ayrshire
Archaeology NotesNS30NW 7 3020 0991.
The first church built at Maybole stood in the centre of the churchyard which is situated in the centre of the town. It was founded in 1193, and was dedicated to St Cuthbert. Its site may still be traced, and two hundred years ago (about 1680) it was built in the shape of a 'T', with the parish school at the E end of it.
R Lawson 1885; 1891
NS 3020 0991. No trace of this chruch remains, and the churchyard is no longer is use. Beside a headstone is an old font, rounded on three sides, the fourth being broken; in the centre is a small cavity.
A plaque on the wall outside the churchyard states: 'Churchyard of the Parish of Maybole. Church founded by Duncan, Earl of Carrick in 1193. Dedicated to St Cuthbert. Chaplainry of St Ninian founded by Sir Gilbert Kennedy of Dunure in 1451. Last interment was in 1914.'
Visited by OS (JD) 5 December 1955
(NS 3020 0991) St Cuthbert's Church (NR) (site of)
OS 25" map (1965)
The font remnant mentioned by OS (JD) stands by marble slab inscribed 'Site of old church, 51ft long by 24ft wide'. In this vicinity are uniform lines of graves, and no trace of the church can be seen. The wall plaque has been removed.
Visited by OS (JRL) 8 August 1977
Collection SummaryPhotographs: 1
Other Material: 0
Lawson, R (1891 )
Places of interest about Maybole,
Lawson, R (1885 )
Maybole past and present : its history and associations,
RCAHMS (1983 a)
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North Carrick, Kyle and Carrick District, Strathclyde Region,
The archaeological sites and monuments of Scotland series no 17, Edinburgh, 26, No. 180,