MAYBOLE, HIGH STREET, TOLBOOTHType of Site: Administration/ Town Hall; Tolbooth
NMRS Number: NS30NW 1
Map reference: NS 300 098
Council: South Ayrshire
Archaeology NotesNS30NW 1 3001 0986.
(NS 3001 0986) The tolbooth at Maybole was formerly the town house of the laird of Blairquhan. Little remains of the mansion but the tower; its pointed and traceried windows in the top storey are probably a Gothic revival of the 17th century.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; 1889
Probably built at the beginning of the 16th century.
R Bryden 1889
The square tower is all that is visible of the tolbooth. It is incorporated in the modern Town Hall buildings.
Visited by OS (JLD) 7 December 1955
The extensively restored tower still forms part of the Town Hall buildings which are otherwise of 19th century date.
Visited by OS (JRL) 25 July 1977
Collection SummaryPhotographs: 34
Other Material: 6
Bryden, R (1889 )
Etchings of Ayrshire castles,
Cuthbertson, D C (1933 )
Edinburgh, p 156,
MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92 )
The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries',
II, 5v, Edinburgh, Vol.3, 338, 498; Vol.5, 115-16,
RCAHMS (1983 a)
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North Carrick, Kyle and Carrick District, Strathclyde Region,
The archaeological sites and monuments of Scotland series no 17, Edinburgh, 26, No. 180,
RCAHMS (1996 b)
Tolbooths and town-houses: civic architecture in Scotland to 1833,
Edinburgh, pp 141-2,
Stell, G (1982 c)
'The earliest tolbooths: a preliminary account',
Proc Soc Antiq Scot, 111, 1981, 452,