the First World War the population of Maybole purchased a large piece of
farmland which was laid out as a memorial park for those who died during the
war. The War Memorial was erected at the highest part which contained a golf
course, tennis courts and bowling green. The main gate and pillars leading to
the memorial park were raised by subscriptions from ex service men.
NEW GATES TO MEMORIAL PARK ARE DEDICATED
The new gates to Maybole War Memorial Park
are ceremonially pushed open.
Maybole branch of the Royal British Legion (Scotland)
march to the drumhead service.
Davie Hunter is presented with a medallion by
Another view of the new gates
The photo on the left is a view of the Memorial park from
the gates. At the top of the hill is the war memorial and in the distance
you can see Kildoon.
Marion Niven from Largs still has the key-brooch presented
to her Maybole grandmother Mrs. Clark, who unlocked the original
Memorial Park gates in 1925.
This is a close-up of the key brooch
presented to Mrs Clark in 1925 when she opened the park gates.
MEMORIAL PARK MAIN GATE PILLARS
BEFORE THE INSTALLATION OF THE NEW GATES