Steel Engraving from 1845.
DUNDONALD CASTLE has never made any
conspicuous appearance in our national history; but it claims attention,
as having been the residence of some of our princes of the house of
Stewart. The eminence on which this castle stands is supposed to have
given name to the parish of Dundonald. It is situated on the coast of the
frith of Clyde, in that division of Ayrshire which has been denominated
Kyle, lying between the rivers Doon and Irvine.
This castle gives name to
the earldom in the family of Cochrane; but the rising ground on which it
stands, with five roods of land adjoining, is all the property in this
parish which now pertains to that family. No authentic record can be
produced as to the time when the castle was built, or when it was spoiled
of its roof, and rendered desolate. A large pile still remains. Its
walls are very thick, and built of the whhistone which abounds in the
vicinity; the corners are of freestone; the Stuart arms appear on
different parts of the building; and the whole has much the form of those
castles which were raised in Britain during the twelfth and thirteenth
centuries. Opposite to the village and castle is a very beautiful bank of
wood, extending near a mile to the northwest.