Excerpt from the
Military Historical Society
Ayrshire Yeomanry is the senior yeomanry regiment in Scotland and the seventh
yeomanry regiment in Great Britain. It was formed in 1793 by Archibald, Lord
Kennedy, being then known as the Ayrshire Yeomanry Cavalry. When, in 1838, there
was a general disbandment of yeomanry regiments only two - the Ayrshire and the
Lanarkshire - were retained in Scotland.
the South African War of 1899-1902, the volunteers from the Ayrshire and
Lanarkshire Yeomanries served in the campaign as the 17th Company of the 6th
(Scottish) Battalion of Imperial Yeomanry.
the Great War of 1914-1918, the regiment was originally on active service in
Gallipoli and Egypt. In January of 1917, the Ayrshire Yeomanry and Lanarkshire
Yeomanry were formed into the 12th (Ayr and Lanark Yeomanry) Battalion of the
Royal Scots Fusiliers. The division to which the battalion was then attached was
composed mainly of yeomanry units and was popularly known as the "Broken
Spurs". The battalion took part in operations in Palestine and thereafter
served in europe on the Western Front.
the Second World War of 1939-1945, the regiment fought as the 151st and 152nd
(Ayrshire Yeomanry) Field Regiments, Royal Artillery, in North Africa, Italy and
1949, the regiment had been re-formed as a unit of the Royal Armoured Corps.
African War and First World War Battle Honours
Jerusalem, Tell 'Asur, Palestine 1917-1918.
and Flanders 1918.