Possibly one of
the oldest photographs of the town. Taken around 1860 it shows the
Castle and the Old Smithy on the corner of New Yards and Barns Road,
formerly called Castle Brae. This picture was taken before the new
road (St. Cuthbert's Road) was formed The carriage belonged to, a
mortician, Mr. Thomson.
This image was contributed by George Shields and makes a great
desktop background. Right click and set as background or wallpaper.