St Cuthbert's Shoe Factory
A Mr. Willie Cook had a small factory
at the corner of St. Cuthbertís and Kirkland Street. He joined with Charles
Crawford to open the Kirkwynd factory. Mr. Cook left the partnership and
the firm became Robert Crawford & Sons, building up a good business in
Ireland which practically came to an end with the establishment of the Irish
Free State and the factory closed in the 1930ís.
Kirkwind Boot & Shoe Factory
Helenís Works were opened by a Mr. Devlin who was succeeded by a Mr. Boyd.
A Mr. James McReath who lost his job in 1907 started for himself
in a garden hut at Redbrae by the old goods station and helped by his family
in the evenings he gradually built up a business and a reputation for
quality. He moved into the St. Helenís Works just after the First World War
and closed in 1968.